Tuesday, May 24, 2011

MOMStoday features Karen Davila (Jan-Feb Issue)


On The Cover : Karen Davila with David and Lucas

Karen Davila: How she always overcomes
By Joan Teotico
Karen Davila moves forward and enjoys her purpose-driven life as mother, leader, changemaker…
With three television programs, a radio show, and a daily TV show in the works, ABS-CBN news anchor and broadcast journalist Karen Davila- wife and mother of two- talks about facing challenges, keeping her family grounded, and why she wants to impact the world.
For six years, the entire country- and the world- had been watching Karen Davila deliver headlines and news in ABS-CBN’s flagship news program, TV Patrol, at 6:30 p.m. every weeknight. But, on November 5 last year, Karen and her co-host, veteran broadcast journalist Julius Babao, bid TV Patrol goodbye.
Even Karen’s sons, David Joshua, 8, and Lucas, 3, noticed their mother’s absence. “Where is mommy? Mommy not on TV Patrol,” Lucas had once said. The 40-year-old mommy admits she didn’t want to leave the show because it was a “program we enjoyed, loved, invested in, and committed to.”
But the journalist in her put the matter in its proper perspective. “But I respect the decision of ABS-CBN,” she says. “We’re talents who do our best for the interest of the network. ABS-CBN chose to go another way by putting back the seniors, the originals. Management believes it’s the best decision right now so I support them; I support Korina Sanchez, “Kabayan’ Noli de Castro, and Ted Failon. At the end of the day, we all work for one network.”
At the same time, Karen also points out,”The first thing that all on-cam personalities- journalists, celebrities, news anchors- need to settle with is the separation anxiety of leaving a program, but it’s part of life. Nothing on television is permanent. We all go with the flow, and do our best. TV Patrol has never been my end all and be all. I really see myself as a holistic person who has relationships with people and has children.”
She says no depression set in when the ax fell.”In fact, people told me I dealt with it with so much serenity and graciousness. I think that’s coming from God.”
Many people have approached Karen and asked her if she would still stay in or leave her current network where she has grown and invested the most for the past 10 years. In reply to MOMStoday’s question to address this, she replies,”I love ABS-CBN. I am grateful for everything they have given me. I have received offers [from other parties].” At the end of the day, what’s important to Karen is “belonging to a network that values you.”
A day in the life
On November 22, Karen and Julius joined Ces Orena-Drilon and became her co-anchors in Bandila, ABS-CBN’s late night news program that airs weeknights at 11:45p.m. Although it was difficult at first for Karen to find the best time of the day to catch up on lost sleep with her new schedule, she enjoys her new assignment.”I love working in Bandila because Ces and Julius are so much fun to work with. They’re such great partners, very generous, and light to be with. One of the blessings of my new assignment is really getting to work with Ces up close and seeing that she is a wonderful person to be with every night. And, of course, kami ni Julius matagal na laming magkatrabaho sa TV Patrol,” Karen confesses.
Aside from Bandila, karen anchors the morning news program, Headstart with Karen Davila, on the ABS-CBN News Channel (ANC) from Mondays to Fridays at 8:00a.m. where she sets the news agenda by reporting on the most significant stories and issues of the day. She loves Headstart for the “growth factor of getting to know people and learning from other people’s experiences.”
Karen also hosts Pasada Sais Trenta on weekdays at 4:30p.m. with Vic de Leon Lima on DZMM Radyo Patrol 630AM and does field work for Krusada, a new TV program that began airing on December 9 last year and focuses on advocacy journalism with rotating anchors. Krusada comes after Bandila, replacing The Correspondents. She also says that a daily show is being planned for her.
An act of balance
While her workload appears all-consuming, it is not what solely defines Karen.”There’s a whole other life that I have: I love to travel; I love clothes; I love telling stories; I love going out; I work with NGOS like World Vision and Habitat for Humanity; I like to study. In other words, life is so much more….”
Karen’s family loves to hit the mall during weekends- their favorite is Rockwell- where they would go for lunch dates. They also enjoy vacations on the beach.
She regrets being unable to bring her kids to school because of her work schedule.”Yet,” she qualifies,”I am what you would call a mother who always makes up for lost time. I am not your typical mother, but I am a mother that’s there, meaning I am involved in [the] affairs [of my kids] and I take them to work with me.”
Sons David and Lucas have been to the studio and seen their mom in action when the camera rolls.”My kids are very much involved in my professional life,” she concedes.
While she works from eight to 12 hours a day, she dismisses the long hours as no mean feat.”Mothers who are sales ladies, bankers, and those who go to the office, have it harder so mas bilib ako sa kanila because they’re in the office for eight to ten hours then they travel home. And even if they’re tired, they spend time with their children.’
It’s something she herself needs to remind her husband, David Jude “DJ” Sta. Ana, head of News Gathering at TV5, who she outs as a “workaholic.” She admits,”He has been a newsman for a long period of time. And, if left unchecked, he would be completely at work. On my part, I have to do most of the effort to ensure our family spends time together.”
Karen found herself at a turning point when eldest son David was diagnosed with mild autism when he was four. She became obsessed in researching and finding the best treatment, medication, diet, and therapies for him.”That’s a different kind of commitment for a mother. During that time I felt I had given everything, and I wanted to make sure that David grows up to be an independent boy who is capable and able to compete with his peers.”
Buffeted by challenges in her professional and personal lives, Karen credits her instinct to survive for remaining strong and steadfast- it is a quality she says is within all f us.”We can go through tough times, but of what value will they be if there’s bitterness, anger, and resentment towards others? Having a grateful spirit and being gracious is what keeps me sane and grounded.”
Breaking the boundaries
She says Oprah Winfrey, renowned and infuential American TV host and philanthropist, inspired and drove her to become her best self.
“When I was growing up, I didn’t want to live my life doing nothing. I wanted to matter to people and make a difference in their lives, even in a small way. And broadcasting helps me achieve that because it teaches, educates, corrects, critiques, and watches over.”
In March this year, Karen is off to Harvard University to attend a leadership program as part of the roster of Young Global Leaders (YGL) of 2010 in the World Economic Forum (WEF). WEF is a non-profit foundation based in Geneva, Switzerland that brings together the world’s top business and political leaders, as well as select intellectuals and journalists to discuss critical issues such as health and the environment. Karen is one of the three Filipinos who won the YGL recognition.
The Harvard furlough comes at an opportune time:”I’m hitting a crossroad because I am 40,” Karen says.”I’m generally happy, but I want to grow and do something globally. I want to get out of our borders, whether in the field of television or NGO work. This would be a good time for me to think about where I want to take my career and what I should do.”
After all, to live a purpose-driven life is a mantra Karen holds fast to.
(From MOMStoday January-February 2011 issue)
Special thanks to KarenDavilaOnline (Tumblr Post)

No comments:

Post a Comment